Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The challenge of bringing a tai chi attitude to each practice

Tai chi is a “soft” form, embodying effortlessness, water flowing over rocks. Raised in our culture of “no pain, no gain” and giving “110% effort”, turning down the intensity my practice is not so easy. It is as if the urge to push oneself is hardwired. And then there is the lingering sense of urgency contributed by my MS partner. So, I gave myself an 80% rule. Each practice done with the clear intention to stay well within my capabilities, affirms “less is more.” But the mindless urge to do more is always there.

But it’s more complicated. There are exceptions to “less is more.” Part of my practice is remedial geared to opening my body to tai chi: adapted exercises for getting specific joints to turn easily, lengthening and strengthening particular muscles, and working on alignment. Remediation demands extra effort but it is not tai chi. Another exception occurs during tai chi practice. If I am unable to move fluidly into the next movement effort gets me through.

No comments: