Saturday, March 19, 2005

A tai chi success over multiple sclerosis

I am always looking to validate the direct benefits of tai chi for managing MS. This week marks one of those successes.

Five years ago, when my neurologist tuning fork-tested for feeling in my ankles, nada. I have learned to feel my heels and my ankles even though the tuning fork test shows no feeling!

I am now practicing shifting my weight from my heel, through the ankle, forward to the Bubbling Spring, and to the big toe, and then reversing the sequence. Perhaps these shifts are ordinary for the normal foot, but they are novel for mine. Weight shifting occurs with the foot flat. I am at the beginning of the learning curve so it takes 2-3 seconds for a full cycle. Shifting weight through the foot gives me an improved sense of balance and stability.

Psychologically, I can’t underestimate the positive effects. This weight shifting tells me that managing MS can be more than adapting. I can be getting better even as the disease gradually progresses.

No comments: