Wednesday, March 30, 2005

A thoughtful comment from a professor of exercise physiology

A much appreciated comment on injury, tai chi, and MS from a friend who is a professor of exercise physiology.

"I read through March 14th and will continue reading. I was particularly impressed with your insight into the pathomechanics of the injuries. While I did not understand some of the forms you referred to I could visualize movements contributing to the injuries and the adaptations you made.

While I attempted to visualize the movements, I realized that had I been watching you perform the movements I would not have a sensitive enough of an eye to detect the subtle, inappropriate movements contributing to the injury. I wonder if any clinician (therapist, personal trainer, or tai chi master) would have detected the errors. After the injury occurred, it would have been easier to go back and visually analyze the movement and say yes at this point there was a lack of synchronization and as a result undue stress may have been placed on the ligaments or the tendons. Then again, some biomechanical errors are so subtle that detection requires motion analysis using high tech equipment and computerized interpretation.

So to answer your question of whether I know a personal trainer who specializes in working with individuals who have MS my answer is no. Your entries, however, have made me realize that working with individuals that have MS requires going beyond a simple understanding of biomechanics. Adjusting for the muscular imbalances created by tai chi are even more problematic. What would make sense is designing a program using reciprocal movements or stimulating the anatagonists with electrical stimulation. (Don't ask me how) Perhaps another alternative is to use the vibratory platforms. (Some research is being conducted with the use of this modality with individuals who have incomplete spinal cord injuries.

As usual, you have left me with many more questions than I have answers for. The one thing that I can say with certainty however is that while reading your entries I wanted to rise from my chair and experience tai chi.

As promised, I will continue reading and learning from your entries.
Your friend
Rich

No comments: