Thursday, March 10, 2005

Wind and Balance: Multiple Sclerosis and Tai Chi

My MS-impacted central nervous system reacts to wind greater than 20 mph by making subtle but noticeable shifts in my equilibrium as if it thought the force was enough to destabilize my balance. These minor adjustments create a perception of instability. This is all happening reflexively and resists conscious control. I know in my mind that the wind will not blow me over but my CNS is giving me signals otherwise. Obviously, this is not a comforting situation.

Short of coming in out of the wind, I practice tai chi. In particular, moves that can be strung together in a line such as, brush knees, parting wild horse’s mane or repulse monkey.

I focus my awareness on the internal drop, the lowering of my center of gravity and alignments that intensify sticky feet. The practice reduces the wind-induced anxiety by providing my CNS with a different set of signals, all of which indicate greater stability and balance.

No comments: