Saturday, April 02, 2005

Stabilizing My Gait: Brush Knee with Twist Step

As multiple sclerosis reduces feeling and control over my legs, I am aware of additional deficiencies in alignment and gait.

I’ve been to a Health Recovery Instructor Workshop where the physician-instructor demonstrated the Brush Knee With Twist Step form with individuals afflicted with severe rheumatoid arthritis as well as other conditions that affected gait and balance, such as flat feet. The form challenges the mind and body and provides the needed template for making corrections.

Presently, I am practicing the tai chi twist step to activate the adductors of the inner thigh to stabilize my foot when shifting balance from one leg to another. Feedback comes from the arch and the big toe. The movement counters any tendency to over-shift weight to the outside of the foot. Since my central nervous system command and control over legs is compromised, any over-shift can easily destabilize my balance. The normal hardwired balance compensations are not available.

No comments: