Tuesday, May 10, 2005

An internal movie

A dark morning, my legs/balance not working well. I question myself. I feel the need to try tai chi to see what is going on. Has the baseline shifted?

Tai chi practice is liking watching an internal movie of what I feel as I do the set. Sub-titles call attention to specifics: be aware of giving enough time for right hip to open (fraction of a second more), pay attention to drop being centered, shift hands a bit higher to feel more movement in the thoracic spine.

Tai chi movements send mental signals. It is the reverse of sending a mental instructions to my body. These bodymind signals are not planned or willed; they appear spontaneously in the practice. Joel-specific knowledge emerges from this internal feedback.

I complete the set. The darkness has lifted. I am left with a sense that I am still moving along the path.

No comments: