Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Putting the hammer down

Taoist tai chi speaks of taking the empty step and "putting the hammer down." A metaphor? Often the metaphors take on a physical or energetic reality as one's tai chi develops. As my posture recalibrates, the heel strike is felt in the femur, the hip joint, and the movement of the pelvis. The movement of the pelvis is transferred down to the foot, in a hammer-like way so that the foot can strike with a loud slap. My less challenged right side makes a more pronounced slap than my left.

1 comment:

Charles-A. Rovira said...

I am starting to take my looming unemployment seriously (there's a stress inducer for you,) taking my health seriously (I am starting to actually concern myself about it, [taking vitamins, omega-3 fish oils and my Rebif religiously,]) and my physical conditioning as well.

Tai Chi tonight. And its been a fixture of my life for the past 17 weeks and I am not giving it up for any reason.

Tai Chi has demonstrated results. I respect that.

I may not be as capable as you, but I am not just sitting here and typing all the time. :-)