Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Tight hamstrings

If you think your hamstrings are tight at 35, wait until you are 65 accompanied by MS. I've been working with the tightest hamstrings my physical therapists remember seeing, and they've tried everything, and I've attempted what they recommended. Not much to show for all the effort.

One of my therapists thought that the extremely tight hamstrings were keeping me upright given a center of gravity that was so far forward for all of my life. Makes sense that as my center shifts posterior the hamstrings can relax and let the new alignment keep me upright.

The only movement that enables me to feel some lengthening involves the tai chi creep low like snake although it is more creep high like tree snake. My hamstrings won't lengthen until hips open enough to enable my center gravity to drop from the tailbone. It's a beginning. Hamstrings may lengthen as part of a developmental progression. I feel that the tight hamstrings are holding me back but it may be other changes must come first.

2 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

Odd, but if find that because of my years of abuse, my weak ankles and excessively limber hamstrings play off each-other to see who can get me to the floor the fastest.

Joel Gottlieb said...

Forgive me, I thought limber hamstrings were a rare blessing.