Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mindful awkwardness

Even the most ordinary movements such as getting up from a chair are no longer automatic and effortless. My awareness lags behind the reality of the continuing loss of automaticity. Deliberate movement, an imposed mindfulness, occupies more of my mental activity. No movement can be taken for granted. Deliberateness is a zen booster in the full sense of loss and gain packed together-- loss of automaticity in movement and gain in mindful awkwardness and effort. Part of the hard work of integrating good chi and MS progression.

2 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

Hey, it's been a while since you posted!

And as for your 'loss of automaticity', I understand. My Tung So Doo efforts are supposed to be fluid, but are forced and Deliberate as well. If not, I would certainly find myself prone in a moment.

Stephen said...

very well said. when walking anywhere means dragging my leg, and the small child who seems to be hanging onto my foot, along with me, i have to be very conscious of where i am going, why i am going there, and how to go and do in the most efficient manner. i have to slow way down and be conscious of every step (heel-ball-toe), and plan my activity to require as few of those steps as possible. what used to be an unconscious jog up the stairs and back down again now is a slow one step at a time thoughtful process. and i have to really want to go up those stairs. yes, no movement taken for granted. tho i am still struggling to find the good chi in it. thank you again for your thoughtfulness and guiding spirit.