Saturday, April 16, 2005

Center of gravity alignments with tai chi

I am training to increase stability by lowering my center of gravity. The matter has some urgency since my disabilities associated with multiple sclerosis put me at level 6.0 on the Kurtzke Expanded Disability Status Scale . EDSS steps 5.0 to 9.5 are defined by the impairment to ambulation.

As the muscles and ligaments of the pelvis open over months and years, millimeter by millimeter, my long femurs (about 20”), seat themselves further back in the pelvis. The femurs, connected to the knee joint, move like levers, supporting the posterior of the pelvis and moving my center of gravity further back (posterior). I see why athletes have well-developed butts.

As the pelvis opens and the hip joints rotate, the triangular geometry of the tai chi stance, one foot at 45 degrees and the other foot either forward or back, permits the inner organs to sink between the legs. This creates an increasingly stable platform. Of course, the sinking is experienced internally and may be visible perhaps only to the highly trained observer.

The stable platform and low center of gravity also develops by degree. Each side of the body is different. On my left side, the hip joint turns smoothly, the sinking and platform-effect more pronounced, but the left leg is less responsive neurologically. Consequently, I find it more challenging to balance on my left leg+coccyx combination. The right side is less open, the femur doesn’t seat as far back, the sinking does not feel as stable, but the right leg responds more to neuro-muscular command-control so that I am better able to stand on one leg+coccyx and do kicks and leg separations.

My training premise is that the more I sink, the more stable I will be when turning either right or left, since my body will be relying less upon the compromised neurology of my legs, and more upon the sacrum/coccyx for rotation and support.

No comments: