Tuesday, May 31, 2005

A stealth disease

Multiple sclerosis is an insidious disease punctuated with a number of traps. Loss of sensation affects my judgment. I think I am working within my limits but I am relying upon neuromuscular misinformation and incomplete feedback. I find out only after I have done too much.

Following what has been my late night training regime aimed at greater opening of the back of the pelvis with tai chi exercises and time on the WaterRower, I awoke the following day with pain that hunched me over. Began ibuprofen, shallow danyus , and reiki but recovery was slow. After several days, I felt well enough to hoe some weeds and I felt no pain while hoeing. Bad judgment! Within 12 hours, I knew that I had aggravated something. The pain worsened. By Memorial Day, after some spousal urging, I asked for medical help from a physician friend. I began heavy duty Methylprednisone and Percocet for a strained sacroiliac joint that triggered localized sciatica pain. I am on the road to recovery.

Is this latest episode a setback or painful readjustment? Based on previous experiences, the pains associated with intense tai chi training have been followed by developmental gains. I don’t subscribe to “no pain, no gain” but my training exercises have a focus and intensity. The MS may be masking the early warning pain signals. Subsequently, when I think I am doing 80%, I may be fooling myself. My bodymind listening skills are not as yet finely tuned enough to pick out subtle precursor signals that I am nearing the edge.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Ha, my bodymind listening skills don't enter into it. By the time I notice I'm nearing the edge, I'm already over it. The fall is down such a steep incline that I'm going along fine, and then all of a sudden, if I don't shut off the chain saw and sit down, I'll never make it back to the house. Oh, I'll pay for it the rest of the day, but the time between standing and sitting is just a think slice. And sometimes I don't even make it to standing.

Anonymous said...

My name is Laura Clos and i would like to show you my personal experience with Percocet.

I am 43 years old. Have been on Percocet for 1 week now. It does kill the pain, but I found that I get itchy with this drug like I do w/ morphine.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Itchiness and bizarre dreams about zombies.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Laura Clos