Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Geometry of Intention

I've wrestled with "intention" since beginning tai chi 13 years ago. First I denied its importance. Then I confused "will" with intention. For a long while, I substituted "awareness."

I find it helpful now to think of intention, or at least an aspect of intention, in terms of geometry -- distinct geometric shapes, such as holding (and compressing the ball of chi). The tai chi form is geometry set to motion. Moving through the set, I allow the geometry of the movement to guide me. The clearer the geometry, the clearer my intention.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent. I get it!

Maybe it's because I've been working on "dimensions" in math. But I also have had painful bottoms of my feet from my M.S. until I got a Ken Cohen DVD to coach me on Qi Gong (from Sounds True).

I think I was 'avoiding' the bottoms of my feet and making the pain worse and my connection to earth worse and my balance worse. So it's a new psychology and physical-ity that apparently has direct biobehavioral improvements for M.S.!!!

I hope everyone figures this out.

I am going to enjoy going through your whole site. Thanks for the posts.