Monday, September 26, 2005

Three Nails

My MS has severely reduced both feeling and control in my legs. However, my tai chi training has increased my feeling, control, and strength in my feet and my pelvis. In between my feet and my pelvis, occupied by my legs, is a "no man's land." The problem is how to move and control my legs as command and control by the central nervous system diminishes.

This week I've begun focusing my training on William Chen's Mechanics of Three Nails.

The three nails refers to three points on the medial or inner portion of the sole. In only a few days, the connection between pelvis and foot has markedly improved and with it balance and strength when standing on one leg. My base is becoming more solid and I am able to initiate turning of the spine from the 3 nails. I feel this practice is coming at a much needed time.

1 comment:

Joel Gottlieb said...

Finding the right instructor will take you some time visiting the various classes in your area.

Give some thought to what you want from tai chi -- e.g. a moving meditation, health recovery, martial arts, an energy practice.....

There are at least two global organizations offering tai chi in hundreds of towns and cities --
I trained with the International Taoist Tai Chi Society.

There is also Paul Lam's highly respected organization - he offers various forms of tai chi but has been especially active in tai chi for arthritis and diabetes.

Finding the right instructor for you is important. Follow your instincts.

good luck and much good chi,