Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Tai chi or Karate?

Miss Chris asks whether tai chi involved enough physical exertion compared with hard core karate.

At the level of breaking a sweat, no. There is a period in the practice -- for me, it lasted two years-- when doing a set would result in a heavy sweat. Had to wear sweat bands on my head and wrists. However, that passes.

Tai chi practice works at other levels -- biomechanical, energetic, meditative. When I do aerobic I use a rowing machine -- no balance issues, core strengthing, rhythmic.

Tai chi and ms fit very well. I have no pain and spasticity is so low as to be unremarkable. I do TC anywhere (and have) -- Plaza San Marco, a small kitchen. Any time. Any clothes. Standing or sitting.

Whatever you decide, having a practice is essential. TC, yoga, karate, journal writing....whatever. Without a practice, there is no anchor in the MS storm.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Thanks again for your calm presence - a tai chi benefit I'm sure. Practice is so important, and to look for it in every day activities can be a sacrament.