Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Time for a reassessment

As I near 65 with 25 years of multiple sclerosis and 14 years of tai chi, what are my reasons for sticking with tai chi ?

1 Practicing tai chi changed my relationship with my body from one of periodic hostility and frustration to one of communication. I listen to my body and converse through tai chi. It’s a gift to be free of so much anger and to have an ongoing positive relationship with my body for the first time in my life.

2 Tai chi enables me to experiment with my body to see what works best as the disease progresses. Consequently, my relationship to MS becomes proactive in mind, body, and spirit.

3 Tai chi informs my Zen and Taoist disposition. It is all part of piece.

4 Tai chi leads to incremental improvements regardless of the activities of my MS. I can’t overstate the significance. The disease is one of debilitation and loss. Being able to see improvements in mind and body enables me to see myself as healthy (with limitations) but not sick!

5 Tai chi cured my back problems of 30 years of suffering. I promised myself at the time (1993) that I would continue to practice for the rest of my life to be free of back pain.

6 Tai chi provides an avenue for me to do volunteer work/teaching in the community with people who have special needs for which I am grateful. My willingness to share tai chi seems to be enough to offset the lassitude generated by MS.

Tai continues to be a gift that keeps on giving. For that, I am deeply grateful to my teachers and the tradition.

6 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

As my grandfather would tell me ... If it ain't broken, don't touch it and make it so.

Keep on doing what works.

Charles-A. Rovira said...

Right on Joel.

I totally agree and I can add that the meditations I have before the actual Tai Chi exercises have been incredibly fruitful.

mouse said...

I have only been studying the movements of Tai Chi for 3 months now and I already feel an immense benefit. It is something that I plan to continue for as long as I am able.

Mathieu said...

Hello.

I've been reading you for a long while now. I'm glad for the updates. :)

Recently hurt, I've quit my karate classes to undertake taichi. While there are things that make me impatient in the class, I admit to always feeling great after a class.

It has been great physical therapy for my knee and I now can practice my karate kata at home in an ok way. Not perfect, not what they call full speed, but practicing anyways.

Although the karate classes are my favorite, they have never helped me feel my tantien or as aware as I'm developping of my body, as you wonderfully mention in this post.

May I ask what kind of taichi you are doing? Taoist? or martial? Yang, chen or another?

I'm very curious because I must say I'm a bit displeased with my current classes. They teach yang style in a taoist way. And well, sometimes, we only listen to Chi sounds and observe the effects on our bodies. Namely, subtle muscle contractions.

anyways, looking forwards to hearing from you. can I contact you by email.

Joel Gottlieb said...

Mat,

Thanks for the kind note. Would welcome your email correspondence.

I don't know enough to be able to offer any guidance. A young man drawn to Karate -- perhaps that is where you should be at this time.

My experiences of tai chi filtered are through multiple sclerosis and a much older and non-athletic body. It makes for a weird template.

For me, the changes brought about through tai chi are subtle but life-altering.

Ultimately our bodies must fail. I hope the tai chi path will be there for me as long as I am in this world.

sending good chi,

Joel

Ben C said...

Hello Joel,

I found your blog googling for info on MS and tai chi. I teach tai chi, and have had a few students with MS. I work with all my students on training balance, but students with MS are challenged even more. I work with my teachers and try to find as much information as I can so I can help these students.

I am writing because I just did a Reiki session with a friend of mine who has MS. After the session, she felt great - pain in her head, neck and shoulders were gone. To top it off, she walked in a local MS Walk the following day! Her qi was strong, and I feel that a combination of tai chi and qigong would be beneficial. Your blog tells me I am going in the right direction!

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'll let you know how my practice goes.

Good qi,
Ben