Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Mutiple Sclerosis at 65

Now I'm on the other side of 65, that cultural age convention that triggers thoughts about being old and dying. For the past two years I’ve written about my experiences with tai chi and multiple sclerosis, trying to better understand the path I am on.

So what is it like at 65 with secondary progressive, aging, and the challenges of maintaining a tai chi practice that is physicial, mental, emotional, and spiritual. Paradoxically, I am feeling more whole than I remember inspite of my mobility and balance continuing to decline.

I am grateful for every day that that I can walk on my own and every day that I can practice tai chi from standing positions.

Looking back through the postings, so much is about retaining mobility. At this moment, I know that grasping, hanging on to my mind’s reality of movement, is a self-imposed mental constuct that generates anxiety and fear. Being liberated from “the importance that I’ve attached to being able to move independently” may enable me to do more of what I am capable of doing.

I often confused “letting go” with “giving up.” Now I see and feel that letting go opens up other ways of being in the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a profound statement. Letting go vs giving up. Thanks for posting that. Now I want to go get a cup of tea, sit by the ocean and really think that one through for my own life. Wow.

mdmhvonpa said...

Keep on keeping on dude.

Stephen said...

several years ago, i found my daughter in a life threatening situation, and found myself giving up control over the outcome, realizing that there was some force other than me in charge. it was a life changing, and very liberating and empowering experience. allowing ourselves to not be in control of everything (getting over ourselves!) can change our outlook. and i'm not even 65 yet!