Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Cataplexy: sudden loss of postural muscle tone

I ended 2005 with a cataplexy-like event. The drama unfolded while I was discussing my candidacy for town council with Taos County Clerk Elaine Montano, filing papers in hand. With the sudden loss of postural muscle tone (most often associated with narcolepsy), I folded like a marionette. No warning. Only shocked looks. No harm other than my brief candidacy which also folded. At this stage of my MS, adding the stress of political life borders on insanity.

MS surprises remind me how much we all live on the edge. Cataplexy unmasked yet another level of denials and rationalizations. A Buddhist might think of it as an awakening.

Linda thought that my tai chi may have prevented any injury as I folded neatly to the ground.

First thing the next day, I did my tai chi practice and was reassured.

No comments: