Monday, June 05, 2006

The MS Fall

Yin and yang, balance and falling, all part of a piece.

Falling presents its own peculiar challenge. With my MS, I am a aware of most changes in situations which present balance problems and I compensate. All of my falls come in situations with which I am familiar, doing things I have done hundreds, if not thousands of times--like getting up from our dining table.

Getting up from the table, the side of my foot caught the grout line in the tile --hardly an obstacle-- but enough to have me fall-like-tree onto the tile floor. I injured my foot and have been nursing it for a week.

It is especially difficult to be mindful of ordinary movements that are part of familiar ways of daily living. However, it is in the ordinary that risk proves greatest. Nothing is too ordinary to be taken for granted. Mindfulness is living the micro-moment. I admire the zen monk.

I miss my tai chi practice. Substituting an abbreviated reiki practice.

No comments: