Thursday, July 06, 2006

Still Processing

My hard fall at the end of May triggered a number of things which made for a difficult month. I’m still processing.

The broken foot may be the least significant as it is healing quickly and free of pain. The hip, which I though may have been fractured, was only bruised along with my feet. And the MS progression seems to have quickened making getting up, standing, and walking difficult and tiring. I am being reaquainted with some neurologically-induced muscle pain.

It has been the longest suspension of my tai chi practice in almost 10 years. I do some movements and two sessions at the nursing home but miss the centering and steadiness which daily practice brings. The will is there but the body is recalcitrant.

I found myself wondering what the new normal is going to be only to realize that I am creating expectations rather than taking each moment for what it is. Ultimately, all I have is each moment – why squander it on an expectation that is only guaranteed to add a layer of suffering if the expectation is not met or exceeded.

There is much to healing that remains hidden and mysterious.

2 comments:

Miss Chris said...

I like the way you said "The new normal" because I've been using that expression since my diagnosis. It's the best way I've come up with to describe how this disease affects my life to those people who don't know that much about it.

Jaime said...

I am sorry to hear that you have had a time of it. I hope you get to feeling better soon and can get back to the Tai Chi you love! Please take care.

Jaime