Saturday, September 30, 2006

Biological reprogramming

Still able to "walk" without a stick. Slowly working myself back into tai chi routines. Climbing out of the hole. Seeing the light again.

I've always been fascinated with the biomechanics of tai chi. Perhaps, too much so since I know so little about the subject. Regardless, I persist because it seems to me that adapting to MS means changing one's biomechanics to reprogram how one moves. And tai chi is nothing if not a biological reprogramming.

The biology of change is very slow, especially at 64. Impatience never helps. It is as if each incremental change in mechanics, balance, posture, movement requires the death of old cells and their replacement by new cells with the new programming.

2 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

Problem is that as your old cells fade away, there are fewer and fewer new cells to replace them. It's like the european population issue. Execpt we don't get a migration boost.

Charles-A. Rovira said...

I love finding an MSer who'se actually older than I am (53.)

And someone else who's doing Tai Chi.

I find it difficult at the start but I (and my wretched, spastic coordination) improve by the end of the lesson.

Thank you for being.

Not for being anything, for just being.

Call it an existential compliment. :-)

----

By the way, I have a podcast for MSers , by an MSer (me :-) at

http://www.MSBPodcast.com

Why not check it out and send me some feedback?

Charles *at* MSBPodcast.com